10 of my favorite photos from 2017
Updated: Aug 19, 2019
2017 was an amazing year for me as a photographer, but also for me personally. I had the chance to travel to some amazing places, and cover some fantastic business events and Festivals. In this post I want to share some of my favorite pictures I took in 2017. Please let me know which photo is your favorite.
1. Starting with this list, it's a photo that took a lot of effort to make. The photo was taken in Guatemala during a trip me and my girlfriend took to central America. We had to climb a neighboring volcano by the name of Acatenango. The trip up was split in 2 sessions. The first session was to the base camp where we spend the night. At 4a.m. we continued the hike to the top to be able to see the sunrise. It was very cold, and the hight sickness made sure I had a headache. But it was worth the almost 4000 meter climb. From the top we could see the active Volcano de Fuego erupt. This was truly a majestic sight and something I will never forget.
2. One of the most creative and fun festivals to cover for me is Into The Woods Festival. This year it was the first edition of this festival during the Amsterdam Dance Event. I took this photo at the end of the festival. I love the energy in this photo. You can really tell the crowd had an amazing time with this artist.
3. A place that stole my hart was Cuba. We traveled to the capital Havana where this picture was taken. What I loved most about Cuba is that time stood still. There was almost no wifi, and the people where really nice and interested in you as a tourist. The only downside was that the old cars in the photo smelled of exhaust gas. But they where beautiful to look at.
4. I took this photo during a business event I shot for Schaap & Citroen. I love how the composition of this photo worked out. The product stands out, while there are still some other factors that give the photo an interesting feeling. Like the plane in the background and the strong position of the man in the suit.
5. This photo was taken during a trip to Spain while I was joining Thomas Gold as his official Photographer. For me this is a great example of planning and teamwork. The plan was to take a photo during the first drop of his first track of his DJ set. I talked with Thomas about this idea, then with the stage manager, and after that with the FSX (Special effects) guy.
6. What I love most about photography is to capture people while they are not noticing that there is somebody taking a picture of them. This photo was shot during a food truck Festival in Utrecht. I love the smiles in interaction they are having with each other.
7. This picture was taken during our trip to Italy. We took a boot from Naples to the beautiful Island Capri. This was one of the first pictures I took on this Island. I love the turquoise blue water, and the different colors on the houses. This picture gives me some great summer memories.
8. One of the most fun assignments in my career as a festival photographer has to be Magic Break Festival. This festival takes place in Antalya Turkey.
9. Another photo from Cuba. We rented a couple of bikes from the neighbors where we stayed and went on an adventure. During our bike trip we came across this field of cows. One cow caught my attention. I love the composition of this photo and the wavy layering of the colors. It almost feels a bit to perfect to be true.
10. One of my favorite photos from my hometown Utrecht. This was shot during a beautiful summer day. I love the fact that so many people where having a good time, and the sky just looked amazing.
Info about the author
Hi, my name is Michiel Ton. I am a professional Business and event photographer from the Netherlands with loads of experience in covering business events and dance / music festivals. In addition to being a full time photographer, I am also a graduate as a teacher in social science. I have passion for creating unforgettable memories through my photography.
My social media channels for more of my photography stories.